If you want to make your dreams come true the first thing you have to do is wake up! Getting off to an amazing start each morning is the true catalyst to success with your fitness goals, and life in general.
If you start your day off late, stressed out, negative, or grumpy this tends to have a carry over effect on the rest of your day.
Morning routines are arguably the most important part of your day because:
- Mornings are the most productive time for many people, when our brains are recharged and often the most creative.
- Morning rituals prepare us to tackle the day with clarity and energy.
- You should take care of yourself before going out to take care of the world.
- It prepares you for a high output, successful day.
- How you begin the day is often a direct reflection of the day ahead.
Many successful people have documented their morning routines and shared the importance of having an epic morning routine that primes them for success all day long.
In today's article we are going to document a few of the morning routines of the most successful people in the world – and then I’m going to attempt to give you the ultimate morning routine for shredding season that will also help you boost your energy levels and productivity throughout the day.
I’m a huge believer that morning routines are incredibly important – so let’s dive into the good stuff!
First let’s learn from some really successful people on their morning routines and see if we can apply anything into the best morning routine for shredding season.
I wanted to document a few morning routines of extremely high energy and productive people.
Tony Robbins Morning Routine:
Tony wakes up around 5 AM each day and does the following:
- Wakes up, jumps in the hot tub, and then jumps into a cold plunge
- Takes time for gratitude for three things
- Mediation practice where he focuses on spirituality, or for him, “Feeling the presence of God”
- Thinks about his “Three to Thrive”
So what do these four core things actually do?
The first is a quick mental state change, and the second is emptying the mental cache so you can think positive thoughts throughout the day.
You can’t feel angry or worried about anything if you’re feeling grateful for everything.
The third is about imagining perfection and abundance in your life. Being grateful for everything that we own instead of worrying about what we don’t is a really powerful activity.
The fourth is thinking about the daily steps that you’re preparing to take right now to accomplish the three things with the highest leverage in your life. This organizes your day and gives you clarity in pursuit of your goals.
Pretty interesting stuff from 1 of the world’s most successful people.
Let’s look at the morning routine highlights now of a few more world class achievers.
Arnold Schwarzenegger Morning Routine (The Highlights)
- Rises at 5am
- Reads newspapers
- Checks email on iPad
- 45-minute workout (usually weights)
- Eats breakfast (Healthy carbs and high protein)
- Off to work (just another typical day of being the Terminator)
Bill Gates Morning Routine (The Highlights)
- Gets up early each day (between 5 AM and 6 AM)
- Spends an hour on the treadmill while simultaneously watching videos from the Teaching Company, effectively exercising body and mind
- Eats a healthy breakfast that includes fruit and usually slow digesting carbs
- Off to work to tackle the world!
Richard Branson Morning Routine (The Highlights)
- Rises at 5:45am
- Swims, kite surfs, or plays tennis (Gets outside as fast as possible!)
- Does 15 minutes of business planning for the upcoming day
- Eats a healthy breakfast after physical activity
As you can see, doing some type of physical activity and removing stress is incredibly important.
Between all of the most successful people I see a few common themes:
- Almost NOBODY eats breakfast first thing upon rising
- Almost everybody does some form of physical activity within 30 minutes of rising
- Almost Everybody hydrates immediately upon waking or consumes some healthy beverage to kick-start their metabolism
- Almost everybody does some form of gratitude, meditation, or focus training to prep for the upcoming day and get organized mentally
- Breakfast typically is skipped, or contains some really healthy ingredients but NOT until they get something accomplished each morning
The Ultimate Morning Routine for Shredding Season
Based on all of this – I’m going to take a stab at the ultimate morning routine for shredding season. This can vary from person to person so feel free to adjust based on your schedule, goals, and lifestyle!
Step 1 – Wake Up as Early as possible!
Early to bed, and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise! Even if you have to take an afternoon nap – I can’t recommend enough the power of waking up early and tackling the day before the sun rises!
Something magical happens in your life and with your goals when you can routinely get up before 6 AM. (at least on the weekdays)
Step 2 – Hydrate Properly When waking
Ok – so you stumble out of bed early and you are still groggy! Time to jump-start your metabolism and prep your mind and body for an awesome morning routine.
You should be consuming these 3 beverages ASAP
- Big glass of warm water with fresh squeeze lemon (great alkalizer and natural detox)
- Big glass of water and a cup of coffee with cinnamon (awesome energy booster for a quick morning pick me up to prime the mind and body)
- Big glass of water and a BCAA drink to fuel your hard working muscles for the morning activity. You can get yours from 1up Nutrition and save 20-40% using my code RYAN20
You can take this one step further by consuming the ultimate morning drink to reduce inflammation. Try this recipe out and let me know your thoughts in the Facebook group.
- Glass of warm water
- Half a lemon
- 1tsp apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of tumeric
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of Himalyan pink salt
I warn you, the cayenne pepper can be a bit much to start with, if you can't handle it you can exclude this from the recipe. This is the ultimate morning drink that will kick start your metabolism and reduce inflammation.
Step 3 – At least 15-30 minutes of physical exercise while training your mind
Now that you have woken up and properly hydrated yourself, you should clear your head and eliminate stress and do 15-30 minutes of some type of physical exercise. If you live in a great climate I recommend going outside and doing some “fasted cardio” while the sun rises.
This primes you for an amazing day and allows you to get in cardio and enjoy the outdoors.
If your main goal is building muscle this can be the time to get in a quick muscle pump, or even a full workout if you have enough time before work/school.
The real game changer is DURING your times of physical activity I want you to train your mind and calm down your ADD thoughts. If you are like me your mind is in a million places when you first get up, and it is really powerful to train your mind to learn something new and exciting while you are also doing a morning workout.
I recommend listening to a quality podcast, educational Youtube video, or simply something that motivates you or gives you a feeling of inspiration that you can carry with you for the rest of the day!
While music is great to listen to while working out, I have noticed a big difference in my morning routine when I listen to something that trains my mind to get a workout at the same time.
This has an amazing carry over effect on the rest of my day and nothing is more rewarding than starting your day off with both a physical and mental workout!
Step 4 – Time to eat something to fuel your day for success while getting organized
Remember – this is the best morning routine for shredding season, but most importantly will fuel you for success in your entire life.
By now you have properly hydrated your body, burned some calories, and relieved some stress.
Now its time to get in some high powered calories so you are full of energy for another 3-4 hours before lunch time.
I recommend that while you eat something really healthy that you go over your upcoming day and figure out what your first objective is to tackle. Research indicates that you want to solve your hardest problem first – so whatever you least want to do or whatever the hardest problem you have to solve for the day, DO IT FIRST THING IN THE MORNING!
The best breakfast options will include a combination of high quality protein and/or slow digesting carbs and healthy fats.
You want to make sure you avoid anything that spikes your blood sugar and insulin or you will come crashing down in 1-2 hours and your energy levels will suffer throughout the afternoon. Its also not weight loss friendly to spike your insulin first thing in the morning.
Some of my favorite shredding season options are an omelet with grilled protein and fresh veggies, a high protein smoothie that includes spinach, fruit, and protein powder, or a bowl of oatmeal with fruit, chia seeds, and/or sliced almonds for a nutritious treat!
Step 5 – Just Breathe and Organize Your Day
Next up its important you take deep breaths and DON’T get overwhelmed with the upcoming day regardless of what you have on your plate. Many successful people will mediate for 10-15 minutes before they start their day and this is a great option.
I recommend using the an app called Headspace, check it out and thank me later.
At the very least take 10-15 minutes and figure out how to properly set up your day to get the most done and be the most productive on your most important tasks.
Step 6 – Repeat
Find something that works for you and make a goal to stick with it for at least 21 days so you can form a habit! This only works if you gain consistency and make a plan to stick to this for a few weeks in a row!
Remember – Morning routines are extremely important to follow for success during shredding season and life in general. Take some notes from the world class achievers in this article and create your own winning routine.